Tempe Town Lake is a main attraction in Tempe, AZ, but residents may not be able to enjoy lake activities all the time. Garages and basements can quickly become cluttered with water activity gear, and if you live in an apartment, this can be especially true. Central Self Storage has all the tips for making the most of Tempe Town Lake recreation, and how to keep your gear organized and get you back out on the lake.
Whether it’s a row boat, a motor boat, a kayak or a canoe, all are welcome on Tempe Town Lake, but not always welcome in your home. Find the space for all your favorite outdoor items at a secure Tempe self storage facility. Big or small, storage facilities have a variety of spaces to fit your needs. Many even have parking spots available specifically for boats!
Here are some basic tips for putting the smaller boats in storage:
- Wash, dry, and wax. When taking your boat out of the water for storage, give it the proper care it deserves. Thoroughly wash, dry, and wax it to keep the surface protected from damage.
- Look for damage and make fixes. Check the boat for any damaged parts; replace or repair as needed.
- Lubricate the oil parts. Use a quality oil to keep metal parts in working order, but don’t overdo it.
- Tighten it up. Screw down any loose parts, including bolts and screws.
- Use a rack system for storage. Boats can be damaged if the weight isn’t distributed correctly. This can result in hull warping. Store your boat off the floor and on its side. Research to find the best boat rack for your needs.
- Consider a cover. As a last layer of protection, consider investing in a cover for you boat. This will keep any dust from settling on the surface, and lock out any pests that may find their way inside your unit.
Hooks and lures are small, but they can take up a lot of space, and quickly become a mess if they aren’t organized correctly. Fishing poles also are susceptible to tangling and bending if not handled correctly. Use a Tempe, Arizona self storage unit to keep your gear organized and protected from garage clutter. We know that fishing gear can get expensive, and it’s easy to lose or break when it’s crammed into the corner of the garage. As an added bonus, your significant other will be thanking you for keeping your smelly fish gear away from the home.
Use these tips for storing fishing gear:
- Inspect your gear. Throw out or replace anything that is broken, worn or rusted.
- Clean and dry everything. Whether that be lures and poles, or clothes and shoes, it’s important that everything is cleaned before it gets packed away. Just as important, is making sure that everything is dry. Mold and mildew can grow on cloth items, and rust is a danger to any metal.
- Keep small, like items together. Use plastic boxes or a tackle box to keep your small items together and organized. Label the outside of your boxes so you know where everything is.
- Protect your rods and reels. Rods and reels can be expensive, and you want to protect them while they’re stored. Invest in specialized reel cases and rod racks to keep items protected during long-term sitting.
Tempe Town Lake isn’t just about water sports. There’s also trails that are perfect for biking. Luckily, Arizona doesn’t experience much inclement winter weather, but if your bike collection is out of control, and taking over the space in your garage or apartment, look to self storage for relief. Serious bike enthusiasts can accumulate quite the collection of bikes and gear – and it’s expensive too. Keep everything protected in an affordable storage unit, and don’t let garage clutter expose your gear to damage.
Get your bikes ready for storage with these tips:
- Keep tires inflated. Check the pressure on your bike’s tires before storing. Your bike may be sitting in self storage for a while before the next ride, and suspending it isn’t always possible – or recommended – for long-term storage.
- Give your bike a thorough clean. Don’t put your bike away dirty! Caked on dirt and grime can cause permanent damage. Make sure you clean all the surfaces and crevices on your bike, and dry it completely before packing it away.
- Inspect the bike parts. While you’re cleaning your bike, pay attention for any damage and take care of it. Look at the quality of your tires, gears, cables, and wires; don’t forget to lubricate the chain as well.
- Avoid rusting. Rust is the enemy of many items, which is why it’s so essential to make sure your boat is completely dry before storing it. Using a climate controlled storage unit can also help eliminate the chance of rust. It keeps the temperature stable and locks out humidity.
No matter what your chosen hobby is, it can quickly take up space in your home. Keep your recreation gear organized when not in use, and you’ll benefit from Tempe self storage all year long. Contact Central Self Storage today to find a unit that fits your recreational needs.