Minneapolis, MN, is one of the largest metropolitan areas in America. It’s also one of the most interesting. With 3.8 million residents and more people flocking to live and work here every day, the larger of the Twin Cities boasts a diverse culture and tons of personality. Here are a few fun facts about our beloved city, and how a Central Self Storage unit could be just what you need to get here.
Twelve Things You Never Knew About Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis is tied with Seattle as the most literate city in America. Book nerds are welcome.
- In 1889, the Minneapolis Public Library was the first to separate children’s books from its adult collections. Other libraries soon adopted the trend.
- The Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington is home to the Mall of America, which is one of the largest malls in the world. Fortunately, there are plenty of self storage units available to help handle the results of your shopping sprees.
- Many inventions founded in Minneapolis went on to become famous household products that everyone recognizes. They include Bisquick baking mix, the Bundt cake pan and Scotch tape.
- The first pop-up toaster was introduced in the city in 1926. It was the single-slice Toastmaster, a product created by the McGraw Electric Company.
- The anechoic chamber, designated as the Quietest Place on Earth by the Guinness Book of World Records, is located at Orfield Laboratories, Inc. in Minneapolis.
- More golfers live in Minneapolis than in any other city in the nation.
- The Gates Mansion in Minneapolis was the first home in America to have air conditioning.
- The 11-acre Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is the largest urban sculpture garden in the country.
- The first Better Business Bureau was founded in Minneapolis in 1912.
- In 1991, Minneapolis gym owners Dan Stock and Bob Truax invented Zubaz, a line of loud, baggy shorts and pants designed for bodybuilders.
- For those who love the great indoors, the downtown area of Minneapolis contains a skyway system that allows people to work, shop, eat and live without ever having to go outside. If you forget your umbrella, it’s no big deal.
Do You Need a Storage Unit in Minneapolis MN?
Whether you need extra space for your books, your golf cart or your collection of antique toasters, Central Self-Storage can help. Take advantage of our great offers on clean, spacious self storage units to keep your valuables safe and organized. Contact us today for more information.